What’s New in 2013
Perisher is committed to providing the very best skiing and snowboarding experiences for its guests. In the past seven years, Perisher has invested over $22 million in snowmaking technology.
In 2013 more investments have been made again during the summer months in snowmaking improvements and also in other areas, here's a taste:
Excelerator Snowmaking Automation
- Project cost $1,200,000
- A combination of automated Techno Alpin lances and fan guns are being installed at 27 locations on Excelerator ski run at Blue Cow.
- Significant energy savings will be made with the installation of the new snowmaking system on Excelerator and Lower Escapade ski runs.
- A large proportion of the energy used in snowmaking is for the production of compressed air which is mixed with water to produce snow through the nucleators in the snow guns.
- Each new technology snow gun only uses approximately 15% of the compressed air required by the older technology guns to make the same amount of snow.
- The new snow guns are controlled by computer software and have their air/water mix constantly adjusted to maximise efficiency under the prevailing climate conditions. The computer controlled automation also allows significantly quicker start-up and shut down than the current manual operation, further increasing efficiency.
Lower Escapade Snowmaking Automation
- Project cost $450,000
- A combination of automated Techno Alpin lance and fan guns will be installed at 14 locations on Escapade ski run located in Centre Valley.
Front Valley Snowmaking
- Four new automated Techno Alpin fan guns will replace older versions adjacent to the PlayStation Slopestyle course. These will be more energy efficient and provide an increased capacity to produce more snow for better riding and park building.
Slope Grooming Works
- The cutting of regrowth on many of the ski runs, particularly in Smiggin Holes and Blue Cow, has been carried out removing obstacles, allowing these runs to be opened with less snow cover.
Mini Halfpipe at Yabby Flat
- A small halfpipe is to be built alongside the Yabby Flat Terrain Park to allow beginners to learn the fundamentals of halfpipe riding before progressing to the Front Valley pipe.
Skier/Boarder Cross Parks Now Permanent
- The SX/BX courses proved very popular last season and they will again be constructed at both Amaroo at Blue Cow and adjacent to Wentworth T-Bar in the Centre Valley area (with the added boost of snowmaking).
- This sees Perisher with an incredible seven terrain parks in 2013 (including one under lights), that’s more than any other Australia alpine resort.
New Grooming Machine Addition
- Another Bison X grooming machine will be added to Perisher’s extensive grooming fleet.
Zali’s – Two New Automated Snow Guns
- Two New Techno Alpin automated fan guns will be replacing two existing older technology manual fan guns on the lower section of one of Perisher most popular ski runs - Zali’s at Blue Cow further improving energy efficiency and snow production quality.
Upgrade to Pretty Valley Chairlift Drive
- To make it easier for kids and beginners to load onto this busy chairlift, we have installed a new drive
Snowsports School - New Programs
- Max 6. An innovative program to provide more personalised tuition to skiers and boarders of all standards, with a guarantee of no more than six people per class. Due to popular demand Max 6 lessons are available 9:00am and 11:00am daily for adults at Perisher Valley only.
Kids Progression Sessions. This is a holiday program with a difference! Intermediate to advanced skiers and snowboarders aged 7-12 years will learn how to master turns on advanced terrain, explore varied off-piste challenges, dial-in sweet manoeuvres, build air sense and confidence to conquer bigger booters, take on the bumps, and/or, tackle the parks & pipe with the coolest of Perisher’s top coaches
Perisher has also made considerable investments in other areas to enhance guest experiences:
- Over $350,000 has been spent on new Snowsports Hire equipment, renewing Australia’s biggest ski, snowboard, boots and clothing rental fleet.
- Over 100 new seats have been added in to the Upper Level of the Perisher Centre giving more room for guests to enjoy a break and a bite to eat.